Edmund Burke School is seeking a full time Director of Communications & Marketing to begin in June of 2019. The primary function of this position is to communicate Burke's unique attributes and accomplishments to external and internal constituents using the school website, social media, and both electronic and printed publications.
The Communications Director supervises a staff of one Communications Associate who handles graphic design, publication preparation, social media posts, photography/videography, and the Yearbook. The Director works closely with the Admissions and Development offices and reports directly to the Head of School.
Craft Burke’s messaging and written content in all areas – publications, blast emails, the school website, admissions and fundraising materials, advertisements.
Manage the look and content of the school website.
Oversee all school photos and videos, working with the Communications Associate.
Oversee all school social media posts, working with the Communications Associate.
Solicit material, research, write and send weekly school newsletter (Burke Beat).
Compose and send out weekly calendar email (This Week at Burke).
Work with the Head of School on periodic messages.
Write, edit and send “pushpages” (bulk emails) for all departments.
Work with the Assistant to the Head to manage the school calendar.
Work with Admissions on marketing strategies to attract applicants, and materials for prospective families.
Work with Development on fundraising and alumni materials, including 1968 Magazine, the Annual Report, and Auction messages.
Serve as Advisor and Editor for the student newspaper (The Cageliner)
Oversee the creation and publication of the school yearbook with the Communications Associate.
Oversee production and sale of items for the School Store.
Serve as Liaison to the Parent Association (EBPA)
Attend evening and weekend school functions.
Other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
A four-year college degree and 3-5 years of work experience in communications or a related field.
This job demands excellent writing and interpersonal skills. Must be creative and highly organized with a keen sense of design and an understanding of digital and print media strategy and production. Must be familiar with the basic principles of branding and marketing, including search engine optimization. Must be comfortable with the inner workings of websites and familiar with Adobe Creative Suite and Google Suite. Experience with education and independent schools a plus.
About Edmund Burke School
About Edmund Burke School
• Founded in 1968
• Grades 6-12
• Independent and college preparatory
• Committed to progressive education
• Located in upper northwest DC, two blocks south of the Van Ness-UDC Metro station (on the Red line)
• Over 60,000 square foot urban campus on Connecticut Ave.
• Athletic teams use local DC Parks & Recreation fields as well as UDC and Howard Law School
• Total enrollment of 305 students
• Approximately 80 middle school students
• Approximately 225 high school students
• 39% students of color
• 6% international students
• Total faculty of 48
• More than 67% hold advanced degrees
• 100% of full time faculty serve as student advisors
• 6:1 student-teacher ratio
• Average class size of 11
• 13 AP courses offered
• In 2016, 86 students took at least one AP exam
• Mean SAT: Evidence-Based Reading and Writing 630, Math 600, Writing 33
• Mean ACT: Composite 28.5
• Grades 6-8 Tuition $39,195
• Grades 9-12 Tuition $41,575
• 31% of students receive financial aid
Tuition includes textbooks, lab fees, art materials and grade sponsored fi...eld trips.
Tuition does not include optional service trips or Leadership Program fees.
Accreditations & Memberships
• Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA)
• The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
• The Association of Independent Schools of Greater Washington (AISGW)
• Association of Independent Maryland & DC Schools (AIMS)
• Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
• The National Association of College Admission Counseling (NACAC)
• Potomac Valley Athletic Conference (PVAC)