Office of the Provost-RC - United States-Pennsylvania - (19000521)
The Executive Director of Marketing and Engagement is responsible for leading the strategic recruitment marketing and visitor engagement for the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid (OAFA) at the University of Pittsburgh.
This includes the following:
- Overseeing the development and implementation of direct mail, print, interactive, digital and social media recruitment marketing strategies
- Centrally managing the communications campaigns and flows directed to prospective, admitted and deposited freshman, transfer, and international students annually, and students applying for financial aid, both prospective and enrolled
- Overseeing all aspects of the creation, development, design, editing, and updating of print publications, print and electronic correspondence, and web content for OAFA
- Overseeing the development, maintenance and quality control of communications material for Salesforce Marketing Cloud -- an Enterprise Relationship Management (ERM) tool
- Managing and supervising the OAFA marketing and communications team
- Using market research to enhance the impact of communication strategies
- Determining the efficiency and effectiveness of communication campaigns and flows in support of enrollment goals, executive communications, proactively sharing news with the media, and strategically responding to media in partnership with the Office of University Communications
The Executive Director also oversees on-campus visitor engagement and events for more than 80,000 prospective visitors annually including prospective students, families, and high school counselors. This includes:
- Strategic planning
- Gathering and analyzing data to efficiently and effectively plan recruitment events
- Providing leadership to/for the Director of visitor engagement and the visitor engagement team responsible for ensuring OAFA visitor engagement space is used creatively and optimally for recruitment
- Oversight of the Pathfinders and student employment
- Organization and making sound decisions with the marketing and visitor engagement budgets
The successful candidate will possess exceptional verbal and written communications skills to communicate effectively with a wide variety of constituents internally and externally, including, but not limited to alumni, faculty, staff, high school and transfer students, families, school counselors, college students, support and professional staff as well as with outside agencies and vendors. The incumbent must have strong leadership, management, supervisory, organizational, and delegation skills. The successful applicant must:
- Be a strategic thinker, planner, innovator, and visionary
- Be a solution-oriented problem solver
- Have a high level of energy, creativity, and enthusiasm
- Be self-motivated and self-aware
- Have a team attitude and be committed to a constituent-driven marketing philosophy
- Be able to set priorities
- Be flexible, adaptable and capable of handling a number of competing duties and responsibilities simultaneously
This position will work occasional early morning, late evenings and weekend hours and extended hours as necessary throughout the year. The impact of the position is significant. This position could positively or negatively impact the University's enrollment, reputation, revenue, and enrollment and budget projections. This position reports to the Vice Provost for Enrollment and is a member of the Vice Provost's cabinet.
Bachelors Degree Required, Master's Degree preferred. Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Technical Communications or a related field and a minimum of five years of broad experience in communications, public relations, marketing or strategic planning.
Experience in the following areas:
- Creation, writing, and editing for publications and presentations, experience working with social media including utilizing and creating digital content (for example, Web sites, mobile, UGC, blogs, Facebook, YouTube, etc.), customer service, managing events, and supervising staff. Master's degree in the fields as described above
- Working on projects for or within higher education, particularly admissions, enrollment services offices (registrar, financial aid, new student programs, etc.), or university marketing communications is helpful but not requisite
- Strategically planning and developing content for an Enterprise Relationship Management system
- Developing and executing integrated marketing campaigns utilizing multiple communications channels and platforms (print, digital, etc.)
- At least five years of Project management and supervisory experience in a senior level position
The incumbent must possess the following:
- An understanding of interactive marketing principles, online trends, and general web site usability
- Familiarity with social media and online marketing practices
- Ability to manage social applications effectively with an expert understanding of the technologies used by social media
- Familiarity with dynamics of ROI/metrics related to social media channels with analytical skills required to read/interpret marketing reports and make recommendations
- Knowledge of interactive production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods
- Strong leadership, organizational, management, and delegation skills in order to effectively supervise staff
- The ability to work with a number of staff in a variety of areas/departments
- Strong influencing skills to get things done across multiple units and teams
The incumbent must also possess an understanding of event planning, high-quality customer service, crisis management, and efficient budget management. The position requires a high degree of creativity, knowledge of university structure, procedures, and resources, experience with commercial design, publication, and marketing entities, exceptional organizational and time management skills, and superior verbal and written communications skills. The individual in this position must be a results-oriented, motivated contributor who brings passion and an intrinsic drive to succeed, be able to research, analyze, and synthesize information from different sources, take appropriate action in the absence of direct supervisory guidance, and understand how to utilize and work in a changing communication technologies environment. The incumbent must also possess strong verbal and written skills to communicate effectively in-house and with units across campus as well as with outside agencies and vendors.
Assignment Category: Fulltime-Regular
Job Classification: Staff.Administrator.IV
Minimum Education Level Required: Baccalaureate
Minimum Experience Level Required: 5-6 years experience
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:30 am - 5 pm, but will also work some early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
Hiring Range: TBD based on qualifications
Relocation Offered: No
Visa Sponsorship Provided: No
Background Check: For position finalists, employment with the University will require successful completion of a background check
Child Protection Clearances: The following PA Act 153 clearances and background checks may be required prior to commencement of employment and as a condition of continued employment: PA State Police Criminal Record Check, FBI Criminal Record Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance.
Preferred Documents: Resume, Cover Letter
Internal Number: 19000521
About University of Pittsburgh
Founded in 1787, the same year the U.S. Constitution was signed, the University of Pittsburgh is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States. One of three state-related research universities in Pennsylvania, Pitt is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), which comprises 62 preeminent doctorate-granting research institutions in North America.
Pitt faculty members have expanded knowledge in the humanities and sciences, earning such prestigious honors as the National Medal of Science, the MacArthur Foundation’s “genius” grant, the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award, and election to the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine. Pitt scientists have defeated polio, unlocked the secrets of DNA, lead the world in organ transplantation, and pioneered TV and heavier-than-air flight, among numerous other accomplishments.
Pitt students have earned Rhodes, Goldwater, Marshall, and Truman Scholarships, among other highly competitive national and international scholarships.
Alumni have pioneered MRI and TV, won Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes, led corporations and universities, served in government and the military..., conquered Hollywood and The New York Times bestsellers list, and won Super Bowls and NBA championships.