| Advertised Summary Job Description: Reporting to the Senior Vice President for University Development, the Executive Director of Digital Marketing Initiatives for Alumni and Development sets strategy for, and manages implementation of, broad-based digital/web marketing and conversion initiatives for the Office of Alumni and Development. With guidance from key stakeholders in the Columbia Alumni Association, Annual Fund Programs, and Marketing & Communications, the Executive Director is responsible for developing, executing and leading an integrated digital strategy across the Office of Alumni and Development (OAD) for alumni engagement and solicitation, while overseeing a matrixed team responsible for many of the day-to-day operations responsible for creating a consistent and positive alumni and donor digital experience.|
The Executive Director works in close collaboration with colleagues leading Alumni Relations, Marketing and Communications and Annual Fund Programs, ensuring that all digital channels support and integrate the overall strategic objectives and operational goals of these critical functional areas. This collaboration will be shaped through matrixed reporting lines for staff and a steering group comprised of the leaders of these functional units, and chaired by the SVP, to ensure clear communication and transparency about decisions and trade-offs among competing demands. The Executive Director's key success metrics include satisfying stakeholders' goals and needs, such as expanding the base of alumni and donors engaging with Columbia University through digital channels, increasing ALMA scores among those who do engage digitally, increasing the number of donors who give online, and increasing donor retention.
Working closely with colleagues in Information Technology and Web Initiatives, as well as the CFO for the Office of Alumni and Development, the Executive Director ensures that investments in technology for online/digital marketing and solicitation are made with an emphasis on systems integration and optimization, with a clear ROI based on the metrics described above.
The Executive Director plays a key role in managing and developing the members of the team to make sure they are learning new skills and adapting to changes in the digital marketing landscape.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and manage cutting-edge digital marketing strategies, utilizing a range of tools and techniques.
- Develop data management and analysis framework to inform decision-making and strategy development for alumni engagement, and conversion of engaged alumni and non-alumni into donors.
- In close collaboration with Marketing & Communications, provide digital services to partners through daily management and oversight of social channels, e-mails, websites and advertising campaigns managed within the Office of Alumni and Development. Oversee the social media strategy for Office of Alumni and Development.
- Maintain and enhance the framework and online platform for identifying, recruiting, managing and recognizing volunteers.
- In collaboration with partners in Communications and Marketing, Alumni Relations and Annual Giving Programs, experiment with messaging and creative approaches to maximize response rates and conversion.
- Evaluate effectiveness and ROI of diverse online platforms, programs and technologies to ensure maximal benefit from resources.
- Share expertise, best practices and strategic guidance with colleagues outside OAD on digital marketing and fundraising approaches.
General Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree required. A minimum of ten (10) years of related experience required including at least 3 years' of managerial experience.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: - Ability to partner with the broader Office of Alumni and Development team ? especially the Chief Technology Officer, DVP for University Development, DVP for Strategic Communications and DVP of Strategic Engagement, VP of Alumni Relations ? to ensure digital integration and alignment with overarching strategic goals and priorities.
-The incumbent must have a strong customer service orientation and an excellent understanding of, and successful track record with, providing a superb external customer experience as well as excellent internal customer service. S/he must demonstrate effective leadership and management skills in a matrix organization, excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, strong project management skills, and an ability to turn strategy into action.
-Experience managing leading-edge digital marketing operations, including ecommerce, SEO, Email marketing, and social media. Strong understanding of current online marketing concepts, strategy and best practice. Previous experience in a similar digital marketing role.
- Understand both the offline and online donor experience from engagement through to conversion and stewardship in order to best map digital marketing strategy and digital capabilities with strategic priorities.
- Model Core Values for the Office of Alumni and Development, including Respect (patience, understanding, communication), Partnership (teamwork, synergy, flexibility), Ownership (accountability, professionalism, reliability), and Integrity (confidentiality, discretion, conduct)
- Ability to lead, develop and mentor a matrixed team of 10 employees, 5 of whom have direct reporting relationship and 5 have dotted-line reporting relationship, based in other functional areas. For direct reports, oversee all recruitment, performance management and evaluation, and professional development. Ensures staff members operate in accordance with OAD's Core Values.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced degree preferred.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.