| Assistant Director of Communications|
Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for the position of part-time (50percent) Assistant Director of Communications. This position will lead all Marketing and Communications efforts for the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory (MNTL), reporting to the Director.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversee and coordinate the conceptualization, writing, editing, and production of publications and non-print media.
- Support efforts in the areas of: advancement, corporate relations, and alumni relations through production of related materials (i.e. Award Ceremony Programs and Announcements, Event Invitations and Materials, etc.).
- Coordinate with the College of Engineering Communications Office to write, appropriately publicize, and track breaking news stories and/or press releases on topics of critical interest to the public, scientific/technology publications, and other key audiences.
- Assist with the maintenance of web content and online communications.
- Assist with the writing and/or editing of faculty award nominations as needed.
- Create/develop presentations for departmental leadership and staff as necessary.
- Identify and work with external consultants (i.e. designers, photographers, etc.) as necessary.
- Work closely with Departmental Staff and Faculty, serve on committees in the areas of: advancement, corporate relations, alumni relations, and publicity to meet related communication needs.
- Prepare communication media (posters and Atrium display) used in the MNTL building that describe active research projects, centers, upcoming seminars, and news.
- Arrange for MNTL-related student projects prepared for Engineering Open House to be presented in the building's Atrium.
- Assume additional appropriate related communications duties to further the mission of the MNTL.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or a related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in communications or marketing.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects.
- 3-4 years of experience in communications or marketing.
- Experience with website development and/or maintenance.
- Experience working with external consultants.
- Experience working in communications or marketing in either a higher education institution or Research Facility.
The Assistant Director of Communications position is a 50% full-time equivalent (FTE), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by April 26, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Leslie Lewin Reinhart at email@example.com or 217-300-3872.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.