ABOUT THE POSITION
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications is a highly strategic and seasoned marketing and communications professional with a broad knowledge of arts and events management and genuine interest in orchestral repertoire. (S)he is responsible for overseeing the RPO’s strategic marketing and communications, subscription and single ticket sales, and customer experience. This position develops and implements programs that help the orchestra achieve its attendance and ticket sales goals, while also promoting the RPO’s brand. A member of the RPO’s leadership team, the VP of Marketing and Communications plays a critical role in ensuring the RPO’s long-term viability. This individual must communicate effectively with peers, and build a genuine working relationship with the development and artistic teams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and manage the RPO’s branding strategy. Ensure brand standards and brand communication strategies are consistently maintained and applied across all departments and communication platforms.
- Develop strategy for, and manage, all components of the annual subscription renewal, acquisition, and single-ticket campaigns; oversee the acquisition of prospect lists, production of campaign materials, and work of outside contractors, including telemarketing vendor. Identify, interpret, and analyze economic trends to achieve earned revenue results.
- Develop strategies for patron retention and frequency-building efforts, including subscriber and single ticket retention and loyalty programs.
- Develop and manage comprehensive marketing plans and tactics for each RPO concert with emphasis on those with the highest revenue potential. Plan and implement advertising and promotions schedules.
- Cultivate relationships with members of the media, especially in the areas of promotion and programming. With the publicist, develop and manage the RPO’s public relations strategy to increase awareness of the RPO’s various programs on a community- and state-wide level.
- Develop and execute the RPO’s digital advancement strategy, overseeing the website, app, and social media channels.
- Lead, develop, and supervise a marketing, sales, and PR team that includes the RPO’s Marketing Manager, Communications Manager and Marketing Assistant, Director of Patron Services and two positions currently on retainer: Publicist, and Graphic Designer. Manage telemarketing operation.
- Oversee development and production of all marketing collateral materials, including brochures, advertisements, posters, signs, annual report, and electronic media; edit and proofread as necessary. Ensure that materials developed by other departments meet RPO brand standards.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other internal departments, Development, Education and Artistic — to communicate and coordinate marketing-related matters and promote proper flow of information as it relates to marketing initiatives and responsibilities.
- Develop expense budget and ticket sales projections; monitor and evaluate ticket sales activities and budgets, forecast, and adjust plans when necessary. Analyze sales patterns and pacing, campaign results, and ticket history to determine and/or change the course of campaign strategies and expenditures.
- Oversee all Box Office and Patron Services operations, including customer service, reporting, call center, concessions and contracted services; monitor cash handling and ensure compliance with organizational policies; respond to patrons as needed.
- Negotiate and maintain contacts with outside vendors in direct mail, design, printing, advertising, and marketing services; ensure competitive pricing and quality.
- Conduct audience and market research as needed and develop strategies based on survey analysis. Provide statistical and demographic information as requested.
- Direct communications strategies with President and CEO and COO/CFO and play an active role in the RPO’s strategic and long-term planning efforts.
- Present at marketing, finance, and executive committee meetings of the Board of Directors
- Implement sponsorships and in-kind support for various product lines and campaigns; ensure that media exposure and recognition promised to sponsors takes place; assist with other writing as needed
- Act as a liaison between the RPO and partner communications teams from the Eastman School of Music, Rochester City Ballet, Government agencies, and others
- Represent the RPO appropriately at meetings of relevant civic organizations
- Perform other duties as assigned by President and CEO and COO/CFO.