Global Marketing Manager, Global Oilfield Solutions - Houston, TX-1700114
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
Global Oilfield Solutions is the sales, marketing and technical face to the Oilfield industry for BASF. The organization does not own or operate any assets globally. The entire 300+ product portfolio is comprised of transfers from other business divisions or purchases from third parties, which makes managing the product and technology portfolio extremely complex.
The primary customer base is Oilfield Service Companies who combine our chemical solutions with equipment and service to perform jobs in areas such as Drilling, Cementing, Stimulation, and Production on behalf of oil and gas companies. This makes determining the value our chemical solutions generate for the Service Company and ultimately the end user challenging and defining the value-based pricing strategy for the portfolio is one of the key responsibilities of this role.
Since the Global Oilfield Solutions business has very aggressive growth targets with a strong focus on innovation, the individual in this position needs to be capable of meeting not only the current needs but of developing to meet the future needs as well (2011 Sales: 127m, 2020 Sales Target: 565m).
By 2020, a large percentage of our sales are projected to be from innovative products and technologies introduced in the last 5 years. Global Marketing will be responsible to develop the market approach and commercial launch for each of these new products.
To support the Global Marketing efforts, this position has direct supervisory responsibility for six (6) personnel located around the world (5 in Houston, 1 in Germany).
Formula for success. You will be responsible for..
SBU Strategy Management
- Decision power for global strategy implementation, as coordinated with and agreed upon with the business management team)
- Periodic update of the SBU strategy, working closely with the global EV strategy team
- Serve as project manager for global strategy implementation, including progress monitoring (strategic controlling reports), Comm papers, and internal strategic updates
- Continuously search, evaluate and trigger M&A and partnership activities to strengthen product and technology offering
- Globally lead the efforts to gather segment-specific market intelligence (on product, customer and competitor level), which may include initiation of a market study or hiring an industry consultant
- Network with relevant regional institutions and organizations (e.g., Society of Petroleum Engineers) and communicate to global team
- Own the full, SBU-wide picture on market intelligence & define best practice to share available information globally with all colleagues
- Globally lead and foster idea generation for new business opportunities (e.g., coordinate & host creativity sessions' with Sales & Regional Marketing to formally capture ideas)
Project Management & Consulting
- Globally steer and coordinate the execution of cross-segment projects and initiatives
- Provide reference guides for and consult on marketing concepts, market communication campaigns and industry community activities
Global Market Pricing
- Decision power to define value-based pricing strategy
- Lead the Segment Marketing team members in defining the market, market value, and resulting global target prices
- Held responsible for the overall global business performance in terms of profitability together jointly with Product Management & Sales
- Decision power on global portfolio measures (i.e., streamlining or addition of new products & technologies)
- Lead Innovation project management for the R&D and Technology pipeline and vitality index. Coordinate timely reviews of projects and updates for steering of the projects.
- Serve as lead for business case elaboration during Phase Gate process
- Define and implement initial market approach & commercial launch for new products & technologies, which will extremely important given strong innovation focus of SBU strategy
BASF Oilfield Market Image
- Decision power on global branding and market communication
- Develop concepts for and steer roll-out of global market communication (advertisements, media/press releases, industry conferences, external & internal website) with Communications and Regional Marketing
- Lead Sustainability portfolio direction for EVG
- Support the Steering of Regional Marketing Activities
- Support decisions on regional channels to market; responsible for periodic review and adjustments, if necessary
- Support regional marketing concepts & communication
Leadership and Communication
- Fostering a collaborative, integrated working relationship between marketing and the other functions such as sales, technical development, and support functions (supply chain, customer care, credit) in order to jointly achieve the business strategy and growth objectives.
- Hosting a monthly marketing call to ensure key marketing activities and other relevant information is shared globally.
- Supervising, mentoring and directing the work flow of direct reports, disciplinary reports (mainly in laboratory), setting high performance standards and leading continuous improvement efforts in the marketing organization.
- Responsible for the Communication strategy and annual budget with support of G-EVG Communications.
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for success. What we look for in you.....
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Marketing, Engineering or Science discipline required
- MBA considered a plus
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in Marketing, Sales and/or Product Management required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Oilfield market segments or related industry required
- Experience directly managing others required
- Developed Strategic Thinking, Influencing & Impact, and Intercultural Orientation skill set
- Strong marketing acumen with a solid foundation for market fundamentals, specifically brand management & value-based pricing strategies
- Excellent project management, communication (written & verbal), presentation, interpersonal, and people management skills required.
- Entrepreneurial with high level of tolerance for ambiguity and willingness to take calculated risks and implement novel market approaches
- Willingness to question the status quo & challenge current methodologies to achieve best-in-class practices.
- Self-motivated, customer-focused & resourceful individual with strong follow through
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Primary Location: US-TX-Houston
Function: MARK - Marketing
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: (EV)-Performance Chemicals