Senior Director, Marketing, Communications and Strategy
Orthopaedic Institute for Children
January 10, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Full Time - Experienced
Ambulatory Surgery Center, Outpatient Care Center
4 Year Degree
The Senior Director, Marketing, Communications and Strategy is responsible for delivering on the OIC and OIC Foundation brand management strategy, creating and delivering marketing communications strategy to support OIC’s three campuses, divisional business goals and overseeing the OIC websites. The Senior Director is also responsible for the development and execution of the Foundation’s communication efforts and will also have primary responsibility as staff writer and media contact as needed for OIC and the OIC Foundation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conceives and delivers marketing communications strategy in support of overall OIC business objectives. Creates strategic, multi-year campaigns to reach target audiences utilizing advertising, the OIC web site, on-line and interactive vehicles, collateral, direct mail and trade shows/health fairs. Works collaboratively with Vice President/Chief Philanthropy Officer and Foundation program managers, as well as Service Line managers to identify business objectives and develop marketing communications strategy to drive performance.
• Designs and executes market research programs to assess the value and reach of the OIC brand among various audiences across the Southern California region, the U.S. and Internationally. Creates multi-year and annual plans including budget that outlines marketing communications campaigns for OIC. Establishes appropriate research and tracking mechanisms to ensure the success of campaigns. Refines marketing communications plans based on analysis of key metrics and research of competitive trends in the marketplace.
• Staffs the internal working group for business development, insuring frontline sales staff have appropriate marketing materials and messages across all platforms.
• Staffs the marketing committee and ad hoc committee of the Board of Trustees.
• Serves as OICs representative as the LATTC neighborhood advisory board.
• Manages and continually updates OIC brand identity standards, including sub-brands and product names, in the OIC brand standards manual. Manages and continually updates OIC brand messaging package that leverages OIC brand essence and values into key messages, taglines, descriptions and sound bites. Manages and updates the set of communications and other materials that support the branding to all audiences that come in contact with OIC.
• Oversees the OIC websites, including all aspects of strategic marketing, site architecture, design, search engine optimization, editorial content and quality control with the objective of increasing visitors to site, on-line donations and on-line commerce.
• Develops and manages OIC’s Social Media strategy and brand awareness and is responsible for generating inbound traffic and cultivating donor leads through blogging, micro-blogging and community participation leadership.
• Oversees the planning, project management, design, artwork and production of OIC brochures, patient education materials, invitations, etc. for the Institute and its divisions. Creates and continually improves on-line document management and on-line printing system for all OIC brochures, demonstrating cost and time-savings through use of the system.
• Directs strategy and all design, budgetary, and content of Motion, Discovery Diary, Footnotes, Frontline and other publications and/or newsletters. Oversees the execution of tactics for direct mail to referring physicians, local advertising to reach people with pediatric orthopedic needs and their families, and creation of OIC and OIC Foundation brochures. Acts as primary point of collaboration with the media community.
• Manages communications and media relations budget. Retains and supervises vendor designers, photographers and writers for marketing communications projects. Oversee contracts, negotiate pricing, ensures quality control.
• Creates and implements a comprehensive donor stewardship plan in conjunction with the Foundation staff for strategic implementation of donor collateral and donor related content for website and social media sites.
• Develops electronic and print donor cultivation and stewardship collateral donor focused press pieces, event invitations, stewardship reports, program inserts and donor focused content for newsletters and electronic materials.
• Manages all donor communications including updates to database and reports as requested, establishes a media library and works with community relations to maintain and keep current and utilize database to capture and manage all donor updates.
• Responsible for Foundation’s writing, editing proofreading and graphic design needs as requested by supervisor.
• Assists with Foundation’s tasks and other fundraising projects as requested.
• Bachelor’s degree required in related field of Marketing, Business, Communications, Journalism or English. Master’s degree preferred.
• Seven to ten (7-10) years of experience managing marketing and communications; experience in a healthcare environment is preferred.
• Experience in cause marketing, consumer education and brand endorsement preferred.
• Possess knowledge and experience in the tenets of traditional marketing.
• Proficient in content marketing theory and application. Experience sourcing and managing content development and publishing.
• Demonstrate creativity and documented immersion in Social Media.
• Display in-depth knowledge and understanding of Social Media platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Google+Local, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
• Excellent writing and language skills.
• Enjoy a working knowledge of the blogging ecosystem relevant to the healthcare field.
• Display ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and video format.
• Exceed at building and maintaining relationships, online and off.
• Team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary (i.e.: content development, creation and editing of content and online reputation management)
• Make evident good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Power Point, Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Acrobat required.
• Written and verbal fluency in English required; fluency in Spanish preferred.
Additional Salary Information: OIC offers health and wellness benefits to help employees stay healthy and provide financial protection against high medical cost. The program incorporates a variety of benefits plans from which employees can choose. Health Benefits includes medical, dental, vision, Basic Life/AD&D, LTD and 401K retirement plan.
Orthopaedic Institute for Children “OIC” located in the center of Downtown Los Angeles. For more than a century, OIC has provided unparalleled care for patients with musculoskeletal disorders, surgeons, nurses, researchers, administrators and volunteers committed to helping children lead healthy, active lives.
Our mission is to provide outstanding care for patients with musculoskeletal disor...ders and through the support of the OIC Foundation, to provide care for children regardless of ability to pay and advance care worldwide for all musculoskeletal patients through medical education and scientific research.
The alliance between OIC and UCLA includes the new Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center and Orthopaedic Hospital, OIC Downtown campus, the Orthopaedic Medical Center on the UCLA Westwood campus, and the Orthopaedic Hospital/UCLA Residency Program, combined have the capacity to lead advancements in musculoskeletal patient care, research and worldwide.